Harrisonburg, VA | Accounting
Staff Accountant Responsibilities
- Providing accounting and clerical assistance to the accounting department
- Typing accurately, preparing and maintaining accounting documents and records
- Preparing general ledger postings and statements
We are looking for a skilled Staff Accountant to perform a variety of accounting, bookkeeping and financial tasks.
Staff Accountant responsibilities include keeping financial records updated, preparing reports and reconciling bank statements. You will also run accounting software programs to process and enter monthly accounting transactions, including payroll journal entries and accrual, commission calculations, vacation accruals, month end closing entries and account reconciliations. A successful staff accountant should be familiar with all accounting procedures and have a flair for numbers.
Ultimately, a successful Staff Accountant will ensure that the company’s daily accounting functions run accurately and effectively.
- Provide accounting and clerical support to the accounting department
- Type accurately, prepare and maintain accounting documents and records
- Prepare general ledger postings and statements
- Prepare monthly Payroll Journal entry and accrual.
- Prepare Monthly Commission report.
- Reconcile accounts in a timely manner
- Daily enter key data of financial transactions in database
- Provide assistance and support to company personnel
- Research, track and restore accounting or documentation problems and discrepancies
- Inform management and compile reports/summaries on activity areas
- Function in accordance with established standards, procedures and applicable laws
- Constantly update job knowledge
- Familiarity with basic accounting procedures
- Competency in MS Office, databases and accounting software
- Hands-on experience with spreadsheets and financial reports
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Aptitude for numbers
- Ability to perform filing and record keeping tasks
- Data entry and word processing skills
- Well organized
- Associate’s degree or relevant certification is a plus
Employee must be able to pass a drug screen and background check.