Youngsville, NC 27596 | Machinist
Sets up and operates a variety of machine tools to produce precision parts. May also fabricate and modify parts to make or repair machine tools or maintain industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures. Will increasingly use computer numerically controlled machines.
- Studies sample parts, blueprints, drawings, and engineering information to determine methods and sequence of operations to fabricate product.
- Operates metalworking machine tools, such as manual lathe, milling machine, or grinder to machine parts to specifications.
- Fabricates, assembles, and modifies tooling, such as jigs, fixtures, templates, and molds or dies to produce parts and assemblies.
- Lays out and verifies dimensions of parts, using precision measuring and marking instruments and knowledge of trigonometry.
- Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining, or enters commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
- Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials onto machines.
- Measures, examines, and tests completed units to detect defects and ensure conformance to specifications.
- Installs repaired part into equipment and operates equipment to verify operational efficiency.
- Dismantles machine or equipment, using hand tools and power tools, to examine parts for defect or to remove defective parts.
- Cleans, lubricates, and maintains machines, tools, and equipment to remove grease, rust, stains, and foreign matter.
- Observes and listens to operating machines or equipment to diagnose machine malfunction and determine need for adjustment or repair.
- Confers with engineering, supervisory, and manufacturing personnel to exchange technical information.
- Designs fixtures, tooling, and experimental parts to meet special engineering needs.
- Evaluates experimental tooling and procedures and recommends changes or modifications for efficiency and adaptability to setup and production.
- A minimum of 5 years experience as a Machinist
- CNC Lathe and Mill experience
- Proven ability to create, read and interpret blueprints along with specifications of a particular product;
- Plan the production process, including where and how to cut the work piece, the correct tools and materials for the job, and the sequence of steps to follow in production of the product
- Proven ability to operate machines, watching for problems in the production process and checking the accuracy of the finished piece against blueprints
- Proven ability to learn new techniques and learn how to operate new machines
- Proven ability to finish the metal or other material to specific tolerances, using precision measuring instruments
- Maintain and secure work tools
- Clean and maintain work area
- Turn off machinery when not in use
- Manual dexterity required for operating machinery and computers
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds required for the job
- Use of safety personal protective equipment
- Troubleshoot and repair facility machinery
- Provide preventative maintenance on facility machinery
- CNC programming experience