Fort Valley, GA 31030
Farm Mechanic-Service Technician/Agriculture
Pay Rate Depends on Experience. Position is full-time with benefits. This worker will service, maintain, and repair farm equipment as well as smaller lawn and garden tractors.
Schedule: Approximately Monday - Friday, 7 AM - 5 PM (Hours may increase)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Service, maintain, and repair farm equipment.
- Specialized training in electronics and hydraulics is a plus.
- During planting and harvesting seasons, travel to farms to make emergency repairs to minimize delays in farm operations.
- Perform preventive maintenance.
- Test, adjust, clean, and tune engines to keep them in proper working order.
- Hydraulic maintenance, or clutch and transmission repair.
- Properly diagnose and resolve any issues/problems on all types of equipment, from vehicles to farm equipment and small engines. Work on and operate all types of farm and construction equipment.
- Maintain organization and cleanliness of shop.
- Dependable and punctual, work weekends and be on call.
- Welding and Fabrication skills a plus.
- Perform repairs and daily task in timely manner and according to priority.
- Work in well ventilated, lighted, and heated repair shop.
- Also work outside in weather. Handle greasy and dirty parts and may stand or lie in awkward positions to repair vehicles and equipment.
- Often lift heavy parts and tools and handle various agricultural chemicals and solutions.
- Minor cuts, burns, and bruises are common.
- Hours of work vary according to the season of the year. During planting and harvesting seasons, often work 6 or 7 days a week, 10 to 12 hours daily.
- Complete task in safe and timely manner.
- Work as a team in demanding environment.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE / SKILLS
- CDL (Class A) a plus! Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred but not necessary.
- Clean driver s license for past 3 years.
- Experience working as a diesel mechanic, mobile heavy equipment mechanic, or automotive mechanic.
- Prior experience in farm work.
- Aptitude needed to handle tools and equipment.
- Strength is required to lift, move, or hold heavy parts in place.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Own your own hand tools.
- Communicate clearly.
- Ability to read and understand equipment manuals, parts specifications, etc.
- Ability to communicate work instructions.
- Establish effective working relationships.
- Flexible and understand how priorities change throughout the day and be able to respond as needed.