Fenton, MI 48430
Our Client is a high product mix, low volume per order manufacturing company with a variety of machines, materials, and processing methods. The Facilities Engineer position is vital to assuring production equipment, facilities and offices are controlled, running optimally, and continually improved to assure safety, achieve product quality, and reduce costs. This role is expected to lead with a proactive mindset of; foster a team focused on safely installing and maintaining equipment and the facilities; and ensuring compliance with industry relevant quality, regulatory, safety, and environmental requirements.
- Health and Safety Lead the safety compliance program to promote a culture of safety, ensure a safe and secure work environment, and assure safe processes for all team members.
- Maintain a safety training schedule, ensure safety training procedures are conducted per regulations and company requirements; Establish, maintain, and enforce safety requirements
- Establish, maintain, and enforce security requirements
- Review new, and changes to, materials and processes to assure safety is considered and managed appropriately to limit risks to employees, facilities, equipment, the community and the environment.
- Facilities Supervision Supervise resources to assure properties, facilities, and equipment are properly configured, installed, maintained, and serviced to promote optimal utilization.
- Maintain asset management program, ensure equipment and gauges that require preventive maintenance and calibration are appropriately maintained, and that all maintenance and calibration history is recorded and available to satisfy quality and MIOSHA compliance requirements
- Budget, plan and schedule resources and purchases (equipment and services) in cost effective manner
- Ensure new equipment is suitably qualified, installed, validated, operational requirements documented, and operators trained
- Ensure production space is adequate and maintained to support product quality requirements, provide recommendations for adjustments as production volume changes
- Ensure custodial staff is effective in maintaining a clean, customer visit and inspection ready facility; Drive 6-S to maintain a neat and orderly environment; a place for everything, everything in its place.
Environmental and Regulatory Compliance & Reporting Understand and ensure compliance with relevant industry and environmental laws, regulations, and reporting requirements related to:
- Waste stream disposal, discharge and emissions ensuring systems and controls are adequate to prevent harm to people and the environment
- Relevant local, state, and national regulatory body (including but not limited to EPA, DEQ, and Department of Public Health) reporting requirements for discharge, emissions, disposal and usage are compliant with standards and filed according to time requirements
- Processes and systems impacting compliance requirements are suitable, functioning as intended, and maintained
- Managing waste handling and recycling suppliers, negotiating contracts and pricing to achieve best cost scenarios
- Training employees and as appropriate customers and contractors to ensure compliance requirements are understood, implemented, and effective.
- REACH/RoHS Materials Reporting Support Engineering and Quality with materials compliance reporting requirements for European Union Registration, Evaluation, Authorization, and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) and Restrictions on Use of Hazardous Substances (RoHS).
- Conduct or direct the testing and assessment of new and existing materials for compliance
- Ensure timely processing of substance declarations and conflict mineral reporting requirements through industry materials database (BOMcheck.Net).
- People Supervision - Maintain an honest and collaborative environment that encourages curiosity, demands accountability, and rewards individual development.
- Supporting hiring process and supervise suitably qualified maintenance and custodial staff.
- Set goals, monitor progress, and ensure accountability for the teams and individual team members
- Provide coaching, discipline, and direction for development of team members
- Utilize suitably trained operators; cross-train to prevent single point failures
- Recognize accomplishments and contributions, celebrate curiosity
- Follow and enforce accountability to safe work practices
- Lead with humility and positively influence employees to participate in and sustain the implementation of improvement projects; always demonstrate respect for every individual.
- This position may be required to participate in customer and supplier visits that require travel away from the office; overnight travel may be required; domestic and international is a possibility.
- Bachelor s degree in Engineering discipline such as Industrial or Mechanical and 5 years of experience in manufacturing operation or 10 years of facilities or maintenance leadership experience in lieu of a degree
- Proficient with Microsoft Office; Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Asset management software, SolidWorks experience is beneficial.
- Ability to read and understand complex, electrical, mechanical, and automation systems
- Working knowledge of electrical, mechanical, and HVAC systems
- Working knowledge of facility control systems
- Experience with environmental and safety compliance and programs in a manufacturing setting
- Ability to analyze and write reports, ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and develop charts and graphs
- Effective problem solving and analytical skills
- Familiarity with standard business systems, i.E. Accounting, quality, document control, etc.
- Experience using lean and/or quality system tools to manage manufacturing operations is a plus