Development Engineer I
Verona, VA 24482
Summary: Designs and develops new products and product improvements by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develops solutions to routine technical problems of limited scope.
- Under supervision, gives limited advice and analyzes information within a specific function for others within the organization.
- Under the close guidance of experienced engineers, evaluates, analyzes, and makes recommendations on products, designs, and cost improvements to improve the competitive position of the company.
- Procures materials needed to construct prototypes and participates in the design engineering of new models.
- Supports the planning and development of test programs for prototypes.
- Analyzes test data and reports to determine if designs meet functional and performance specifications.
- Assists in analyzing, evaluating, sourcing, and coordination of the procurement of new materials to support model changes.
- With direction, analyzes, evaluates, and recommends cost improvement ideas through product, vendor, and design changes.
- Performs technical analysis of competitive products.
- Provides support to sales and marketing on product presentations and customer literature.
- Uses computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering and design tasks.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies.
- Design - Generates creative solutions. Translates concepts and information into images. Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner. Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Technical Skills - Pursues training and development opportunities. Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Interpersonal - Treats people with respect. Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively. Edits work for spelling and grammar.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time. Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction. Takes responsibility for own actions. Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Undertakes self-development activities. Seeks increased responsibilities. Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Judgment - Exhibits sound and accurate judgment. Supports and explains reasoning for decisions. Includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Monitors own work to ensure quality.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree (Technical, Scientific, Engineering)
- 0-2 years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Requires detailed knowledge of engineering, preferably in the HVAC industry.
- PC skills including Microsoft office applications.
- Basic skills with CAD applications, a plus.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as technical literature and safety standards, operating and maintenance instructions, and engineering drawings.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before cross functional groups of employees within the organization.
- Ability to apply the mathematical tools commensurate with a bachelor s degree in engineering or science (algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, statistics).
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to apply basic engineering principles to solve problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software; Spreadsheet software; Design software and Internet software, and the ability to learn and apply development software specific to the company.